Open Thus-Sun, 12:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Call ahead for details
Wine tasting is the perfect leisure activity for a day out in historic Tubac, and Flying Leap’s newest wine venue here is exquisite. Ideally-located just off the plaza, the tasting room is set in a territorial blacksmith’s shop, where the adobe was literally fired in a makeshift kiln erected onsite more than a century ago. The property is ideal as a comfortable space for enjoying our portfolio of wines, viewing the TRUST Art & Design fine art gallery and relaxing in the air-conditioned interior space. Customers can enjoy a light meal outdoors on our shaded patio by the fountain. In the cozy winter evenings, we will have a beautiful outdoor kiva fireplace roaring with warm pinõn fire. The well-preserved property exemplifies the authenticity & character of Arizona’s Spanish colonial past.
Tubac is one of Arizona’s most historic villages, with a rich Spanish colonial past and colorful stories from Arizona’s territorial days prior to statehood. It is well-known that Jesuit missionary Father Francisco Eusebio Kino entered the Santa Cruz river valley in 1691, converting the native population, building missions, ranches and farms. By 1732, Tubac was a vista of Mission Guevavi and a mission farm and ranch by 1738. The Pima Revolt of 1751, resulting from a half-century of Spanish domination, caused widespread destruction in the area. In 1752, Spanish troops defeated an army of 2,000 Pima warriors and established the Presidio of San Ignacio de Tubac. Garrisoned with fifty troop and officers, it was commanded by Capt. Juan Thomas de Belderrain.
Apache Indians and recent migrants preyed upon Tubac and the surrounding areas. The Jesuits were expelled from Spanish possessions in 1767 and replaced by the Franciscans. By 1771, the now-friendly Pima were moved from Guevavi to Mission Tumacacori for easier protection. Perhaps Tubac’s most famous person was soldier and explorer Capt. Juan Bautista de Anza II. During his tenure at Tubac (1760-1776), Anza built the chapel of Santa Gertrudis. Anza’s second expedition to the Pacific coast departed from Tubac on October 23rd, 1775. It included approximately 300 soldiers and colonists, and culminated with the founding of San Francisco.
Flying Leap operates in partnership with southern Arizona’s premier art brokerage, TRUST Art & Design, which features bold, modern, original works by talented artists from near and far. Each piece is carefully chosen by Thomas & Kim Johnson, collection curators and owners of TRUST. TRUST artwork is available for viewing and purchase during tasting room hours, but private viewings are also available by contacting TRUST Art & Design directly.